Volume Thirty-Eight

No. 3


January, 1997

Our "French Connection"

A Batavian's World War I Link

by William J. Wood

From May 1, 1918, to December24, 1918, Company 15, 2nd Regiment, Air Service Mechanics, American Expe-litionary Forces, was attached to the r'rench Army. They were based in a small village, Noyers-sur-Cher ap­proximately 150 miles south of Paris. The men of this unit rebuilt 424 of the famous "Spad" airplanes flown by the French Army fighter pilots. They also rebuilt the famous Hispano Suiza, Renault and Fiat motors for the planes. Many men of the American unit carved or scratched their names in the limestone walls of the numer­ous caves of the area or in the lime­stone blocks used in some of the structures. Some of the men also in­cluded the names of their hometowns and states. vol38_0.jpg

Fast-forward to the school year of 1996-1997. Eighth and ninth grade students of Christian Couty, history teacher at the Junior High School of Saint-Aignan-sur-Cher, began the study of World War I. They visited the site of the base area two miles across the Cher River from their school and the limestone caves. They made a list­ing of the names of the men and their hometowns. One man on the list was WILTON F. HOAG, BATAVIA, ILL, central letters of the town name not readable. Using a listing of Illinois towns they found that T, A and V might be the missing letters. A letter was sent addressed to "City Archives or Court House Registry Office, Batavia" asking if this person were still living or had relatives they might contact. Mayor Schielke passed the letter on for research and action. A letter was sent immediately to Mr. Couty and his students informing them that shortly information would be sent to them. So began the "French Connection."


Wilton had died on June 19, 1996, at the age of 102, the last Batavia survivor of World War I. A copy of his obituary was the first item gathered. His youngest sister, Jean Jepson of Lombard provided us with his Honor­able Discharge and Enlistment Record. Also copied was his appoint­ment as Sergeant dated May 1,1918, when he arrived at Noyers-sur-Cher (Noyers on the Cher River). Two let­ters of personal commendation are of interest. One recorded the type of work as mentioned in the first para­graph of this article and made the fol­lowing statement: "Sergeant Hoag is a very high grade all-around machin­ist and toolmaker. He also does very good tin and sheet-rnetal work. His ability, character and industriousness were all that couid be desired." A sec­ond letter reported: "During the period mentioned the organization experi­enced about 36 air raids by the Huns and were more or less under shell fire from Big Bertha for the greater por­tion of the time." Jean also provided us with a picture of Wilton at about the time he went into service at the age of 25.


John F. Hoag, a nephew of Wilton who was looked on by Wilton as a son, provided family background and genealogy, a brief family history and photographs to accompany it - one of Wilton in WWI uniform.

All of the above materials were pho­tocopied and sent to Mr. Couty and his students. Included were many bro­chures from the Batavia Park District, the official brochure of the Chamber of Commerce and postcards and photos

of Batavia with a cover letter and a special letter from Mayor Schielke.


John and the writer each received lengthy and warm letters from Chris­tian Couty. He promises a final report on the project of the students. They sent inquiries to 45 different ad­dresses in the United States and, as af March 15th, they had replies from 'approximately one-fourth of the ad­dresses. He remarked that "so far yours has been the most interesting response." A further quote: "We hope to have a few more in-depth studies of personalities in order to organize a local exhibition, a sort of historical fol­low-up of the traces left here so long ago."


In addition to the coincidence of the limestone factor in both the St. Aignan/ Noyers and the Batavia communities Mr. Couty mentions two other coinci­dences: "One - Mr. Hoag's graffiti is found on the front facade of my own house which dates from the 1830's-1840's. A second happy coincidence is that my wife, Lynn, is our only local American, from Dalton, Georgia."

The letter ends with the invitation to visit Noyers-sur-Cher and see the graffiti personally and the promise that "If you ever wish to call, you'll always find an English speaker at our house."


A second mailing to Christian Couty included a signed copy of Marilyn Robinson's book "Little Town in a Big Woods," copies of local newspaper 'articles on the "French Connection" and more photographs.


Mary Dolly Bailey - Pioneer Woman Drug Prosecutor

by J. Edward Peterson


Batavia's Mary Dolly Bailey was born April 18,1876 in Maple Park, Illi­nois, the daughter of Robert Colum­bus Bailey and Adeline Amelia (McNair) Bailey, who were married on May 29, 1873, at the First Baptist Church in St. Charles, Illinois.


Her mother, Adeline, was born April 9,1852 in the city of Northeast, Penn­sylvania. Her father, Robert Columbus Bailey, was born June 4, 1848 in Bellville, Ontario, Canada, He was Foreman in the Water Works Depart­ment of the Chicago and Northwest­ern Railway.


Mary came to Batavia, Illinois, at the age of 21 with the rest of the family and resided at 75 (now 205) North Batavia Avenue. She had previously attended school at Maple Park and Geneva, Illinois, and, later, the Colum­bia College of Expression in Chicago.


Her father died January 18, 1901. She was then 25 years of age and had taught school in Geneva and Maple Park. Later she became deputy county recorder in Geneva, When the Re­corder (Frank E. George) died in 1914, she assumed his duties. However,women's suffrage had not come, and she was barred by a ruling of the Illi­nois Attorney General from becoming a candidate for the office. She was employed in the office for 22 years and the first woman in Illinois to hold the position as Recorder of Deeds.

She studied law at nights under lo­cal attorneys and was admitted to the bar in 1920.


In 1921 as a Republican, she was appointed assistant United States at­torney in President Harding's Admin­istration. She was the first woman east of the Rockies to hold that position. Her reputation as a government pros­ecutor became known nationwide. In 1921 she prosecuted a case against the Santa Fe Railroad which involved 10,000 yardmasters employed by the nation's railroads.


She was chief prosecutor involving many violations of the Pure Food Act. In the period between 1921 and 1938 she obtained convictions in 95 percent of the cases she prosecuted for the Chicago office which related to viola­tions of the Pure Food Act and the Volstead Act. She was known as one of the nation's most successfulwoman federal prosecutors as head of the attorney's injunction depart­ment. The successful cases num­bered over 5,000. Among the federal judges who heard her cases were Kenesaw Mountain Landis (later Commissioner of Baseball), John Pe­ter Barnes, and Michael Igoe.


A party of 250 honored her at a re­tirement dinner in the LaSalle Hotel, Chicago, on December 19, 1944. At­tending were judges of the United States Circuit Court of Appeals, the District Court, and several former^*5' United States Attorneys under whom

she served, including Illinois Gover­nor William Green, Charles F. Cline, George E.Q. Johnson, Judge William J. Campbell and Judge Michael L Igoe. She retired on December 31, 1944, at the age of 68.

She was presented the Walter Winchell Orchid Award for her works in helping drug users free themsefves of the habit. She was president of the Women's Bar Association of Illinois, president of the Business and Professional Women's Club of Batavia, member of Chicago chapter of Zonta interna­tional, Women's Auxiliary of Post 504 American Legion, Batavia Royal Neighbors of American and Rebekahs.


She died as a result of fire in the nursing home where she resided in St. Petersburg, Florida, on January 29, 1951.


One Thing Leads to Another - And See What That's Doing

Our history of the Methodist Church in last January's issue mentioned the church gymnasium that Batavia High School's basketball team used until 1915. This reminded Jim Hanson of the fact that his father, Claude Hanson, had played there on the 1906 team, and he provided the pic­ture of that team that appeared in the Aprii issue.

One of the team members was identified as Parks Bailey, and upon inquiry we learned that he was Mary Bailey Peterson's uncle. In the course of conversation with Mary, she men­tioned that Park's sister and her aunt (for whom she was named), Mary Dolly Bailey, had been the first woman U.S. assistant district attorney east of the Mississippi. This sounded like a great story for the Historian, so we asked how we could get more details about her aunt, and it turned out that J. Edward Peterson, Mary's husband, had written about her in a History of the MacFarlane, McNair and Bailey Families. That is the source of the story about Mary Dolly Bailey that appears in this issue.


Ed Peterson agreed to give the Depot Museum a copy not only of the history of Mary's family but also of his own entitled Brief History of Sweden and the Background of the Peterson and Anderson Families. Both of these histories make fascinating reading and will prove invaluable over the years to persons researching the ear­lier days of our city and its residents -- including relatives.


All this leads to one last matter --very much related. Carla Hill had nominated the Historian for recogni­tion in the Illinois State Historical Society's 1997 Awards Program. At the Society's Annual Meeting Awards


Ceremony on May 17, we received the "Award of Superior Achieve­ment in the category of Printed Ma­terials: Ongoing/Periodical." Every­one connected with the Historian is proud of this award, but we would never have received it had we not re­ceived so many outstanding contribu­tions for every issue - of which the foregoing are only examples.


But we must not rest on our laurels. Surely this recounting will remind some readers of material that should be in the Depot Museum or of stories that would make great reading in the Historian. Carla Hill will be delighted to receive manuscripts, photographs or artifacts for the museum, and Bill Hall, the editor of the Historian, will welcome contributions or ideas for future issues at 345 N. Batavia Av­enue or 879-2033.


Let's continue having one thing lead to another!


Batavians I have known - Carl Swan

by Ralph J. Swan


Carl's mother, Anna, died in 1902 -leaving her husband, John, with six small children. John was not able to hold down his job and care for the children. All but the two oldest, Carl and Emma, were sent away. The youngest, Ted, was sent to live with foster parents, and the three older boys, Ralph, Dewey and Ed, were sent to the Lutheran Children's Home in Andover, Illinois.


Carl was forced to work at an early age, while Emma learned to bake bread and take care of the house. Carl was 13 and Emma 11 when the three older boys were allowed to return home from Andover. Ralph Swan be­came one of the partners in Crane and Swan Furniture store, whose motto was "Let These Birds Feather Your Nest."

Carl served in the U.S. Army in World War I, and reached the rank of corporal, which also became his nick­name. On returning from the war, he and Arvid Peterson founded Batavia Foundry and Machine Co., which is still in business on First Street in Batavia and is operated by Arvid Peterson's son and grandson.


Carl was a bachelor and had many friends, among them City Clerk Babe Woodard, Cal Swanson, Jules Mor­ris, Dr. Raymond McDermott, Police Chief John Alberovsky and Arvid Peterson. These friends all enjoyed fun times, which included playing tricks on each other, Wisconsin fish­ing trips as well as other varied activi­ties in Chicago, Aurora and locally. During prohibition a local Lutheran pastor told Carl that he had observed him coming out of a speak-easy in Aurora. "Yes" Carl admitted, "I had to come out some time."

During World War II Carl made a business call at Howell Co. in St. Charles. To enter he had to walk be­tween a wall and a truck and semi­trailer. The truck driver was preparing to pull out and was not aware of Carl's presence. As the truck pulled out Carl was squeezed down under the trailer's wheels. At that time Carl weighted over 300 pounds. In order to repair the damage to Carl's body, Dr. J.C. West had to first remove considerable fat, in addition to the fat already chewed away by the truck tires.


Dr. West later stated that Carl's fat may have saved his life by protecting his vital organs from direct contact by the tires. The injuries were so severe that gangrene set in. Normally this was fatal, but Dr. West knew a doctor in Chicago who was experimenting with a new drug, penicillin, which he obtained to save Carl's life. He sur­vived a somewhat thinner man for another 25 years or so.


Carl S. Swan was born in Batavia on January 30,1891 and died on April 7,1970. He was an interesting man.




With the increasingly splendid fire­works display that has long charac­terized Batavia's celebration of the Fourth of July, some people might wonder what our forebears, living in simpler times a hundred and more years ago, found to do on that day. Any feeling of condescension, how­ever, would be misplaced, because accounts of happenings in those days reveal an exuberant approach to com­memorating our nation's birth.


According to notes made by John Gustafson from the minutes of Batavia's Board of Trustees for July 2, 1877, the Trustees voted to instruct the police constable to supply churches, school houses and the fire house with a man or men to prevent the ringing of bells on the morning of the Fourth. We trust this effort was successful but as­sume it must have stemmed from dis­turbances of earlier years.


Although accounts of subsequent years did not reveal problems with the city's bells, they indicate that Batavians had learned how to cel­ebrate the day in a big way. Of par­ticular interest is July 4, 1897 - 100 years ago. The only disappointment, according to a newspaper report, was with the fireworks; the waits between "acts" were too long, and many left before the show was over. Otherwise, the celebration, including a morning parade, was a huge success, as re­ported in the Aurora Daily News for July 6, 1897:


Eagle Screams at Batavia


Rock City Pulls the Old Bird's Tail in Great Shape. Had A Glorious Celebration

Batavia's celebration of the Glori­ous Fourth goes down in history as the biggest day in the memory of the "oldest inhabitants."




PARADE COMING UP W. WILSON HILL - Late 1800s occasion not known, but it could have been the Fourth, And it's a great picture anyway!


All day long every train and street car entering the city and every road

from the country was black with lively, laughing humanity bound for Batavia to celebrate the birth of the nation. The Citizens' Committee, which had the entertainments in charge, put up a glorious program of sports, and gave cash prizes to all winners.


They had ball games, fireman's race, bicycle race, boat race, tub race, foot races for fat men, for boys, for ladies; free-for-alls, potato race, sack race, three-legged race, etc. The greased hog was turned loose and captured again by circus hoboes. Twice more the porker was let loose, only to be captured again by the same parties. The Batavia band and the cir­cus band enlivened the day with plenty of good music. Everything passed off smoothly and everyone seemed to be having the best time possible.


The Island was the main point of interest, and here were concentrated thousands of people all day long, go­ing and conning, from the circus, the steamboat landing and Laurelwood Park. Thousands went to the speeches and ball games, but their absence did not appear to lessen the numbers on the downtown streets.


The circus was well patronized and the steamboat was loaded 'til there was hardly room for the ticket man to collect the fares. The busses, hacks and carryalls, of all descriptions, did a thriving business, and the numer­ous refreshment stands, stores, sa­loons, firework dealers, fakirs - everyone in the downtown district, seemed to have all the trade they could attend to.


There was not a serious accident to mar the pleasures of the day or evening, and although many took on greater loads of liquid refreshments than they could carry, the police made allowances for the day and the deeds.

In the course of other research, Jim Hanson recently came across the mate­rial in this story and thought, as we do, that it would be timely for this issue.

Announcing our Fall Meeting

by Patricia Will, Vice President and Program Chairman


September 14, 1997 at 2:00 p.m. Laurelwood Park at the Batavia Boat Club - North River Street


Please join the Batavia Historical Society and the Batavia Park District at a dedication of historic Laurelwood Park. Steve Lusted, who researched the past of that site and made formal presentations for the naming of the park, will be our guest speaker. In the event of inclement weather, the meet­ing will be held inside the Boat Club.


The public is invited to attend, so please bring a guest.





Board of Directors Meetings



April 8. 1997
- Carla Hill said the Park District will assume the cost for monitoring the Alarm Detection System in the Museum.
- The Board made some changes in the Financial Policy. The revised Financial Policy will be presented for approval with the revised By-Laws when that revision is completed.
- The Board approved a historical plaque for the Oren house on the corner of Jackson and Main Streets.
- Marilyn Robinson reported on the work being done by herself and Jeff Schielke to updae Historical Batavia.
The Board agreed that the name of the book should be changed to John Gustafson's Historic Batavia,
and the authors shown as Marilyn Robinson and Jeff Schielke.
June 10. 1997
- Some of the gazebo prints have been placed at The Frame Shop for sale, and an ad will be run in the Windmill Herald.
- Six of the paintings left the Historical Society from the Chapman estate will be auctioned by Dunnings at their Fine Arts Auction in September. These are the paintings which are not relevant to Batavia.
- Discussion was held on various Society insurance policies. Treasurer Jerry Harris will meet with Carla Hill and the Park District attorney to discuss liability insurance, insurance coverage on artifacts, etc.
- It was agreed that guest speakers at general meetings could be awarded an amount up to $100 as payment.
General Meeting
April 10. 1997

- Carla Hill reported: the landscaping around the Coffin Bank and caboose is nearly completed; the gazebo has been painted; a volunteer workshop has been scheduled; the painting of Mary VanNortwick which the Society received from the Chapman estate will be hung in the VanNortwick room of the museum--six other paintings which are not relevant to Batavia will be auctioned by Dunnings.

- Marilyn Robinson reported teh Oren house on the northwest corner of Main and Jackson Streets has been approved for a plaque.

- Marilyn Robinson have an update on the rewriting of Historic Batavia, and asked for the use of old photos if anyone has any.

- It was announced that the Society's newsletter editor, Bill Hall has received an award for Superior Excellence in Ongoing Periodicals, from the Illinois State Historical Society.

- Patty Will introduced Bob Lootens from Fermilab who gave an interesting and informative program on the prairie at Fermi.


Calvary Episcopal Church - A Brief History
by Dot and Jim Hanson



Episcopal worship has been a part of Batavia since the town's earliest days. Nine years after the earliest set­tlers came to Batavia, the village's first Episcopal service took place. In 1842 Bishop Philander Chase, Illinois' first Episcopal bishop, presided at a gath­ering in the home of Mrs. James (Emeline) Derby, whose home was located just north of the present New­ton House. Her house still stands to­day, although altered, on the south­west corner of Batavia Avenue and McKee Street.


In May, 1855, the Batavia Mission was canonicaliy organized as Calvary Parish with the Reverend Julius Water-bury as Priest-in-Charge. Richard Branford, Senior Warden, and S.F. Clarke, Junior Warden, along with John Van Nortwick, James C. Derby, Waiter Germaine, Charles C. Wheaton, and T.L Cleveland, formed the first vestry.


A charming anecdote comes down to us from that time. Batavia's first lawyer, Joseph Churchill, was an Episco­palian much attached to the forms of his church. One Sunday, as he and his daughter were going to church, he asked her if she had her prayer book. She replied, "No, Father, I forgot it." Churchill blurted out, "Forgot your prayer book! Go get it! You might as well be in  as in an Episcopal Church without a prayer book."


Batavia's Episcopalians built their first church building on the southeast corner of Houston and Washington (now Lincoln) streets in 1856. This frame structure, set on a lot given to the parish by J.O, McKee, began to be used for services the foliowing year. Unfortunately it was destroyed by a tornado a few years later. Since the parish could not afford to rebuild, the property reverted to the donor under provisions of the deed, and the new parish found itself without a formal place for worship. From the time of the tornado until 1873, services were held irregularly, first in a tempo­rary building east of the present church and later in Buck's Hall at Batavia Av­enue and First Street. Regular services date from 1873, in most instances led by resident priests. By 1878 parish membership totaled 68.


The present stone edi­fice, built at a cost of $12,000, was donated by John Van Nortwick and his wife, "furnished and free and perfect in title to all generations." Bishop MacLaren laid the corner­stone on September 25, 1879, and a year later it opened for services.


Several years after do­nating the church, the Van Nortwicks presented the parish with its first rectory.




The Reverend William Steel, whose Batavia min­is try began in 1882 and who also served St. Mark's in Geneva, became the first occupant of this large home, lo­cated conveniently two blocks south of the church on the southeast corner of Batavia and Union avenues. The house, with 15 rooms, five fireplaces, and a single bathroom, was lit by gas. it is still standing today - although no longer as Calvary's rectory.


The Reverend Steel, who served Calvary until November, 1887, pro­vides some interesting glimpses of that era in a chronicle he wrote about his Batavia ministry: Mr. John Van Nortwick built Cal­vary church "for his daughter-in-law" and for several years supplied the largest portion of its maintenance. It was then practically a "Proprietary Chapel" -- and this to such an ex­tent that once, and oniy once, did he make any suggestion to me - and that was to the intent that I should "omit all collection of money" in the church services.


Father Steel explained to Mr. Van Nortwick that the offertory was an act of worship, and to do what he sug­gested would, in the event of his death, cause the work of the church to be ter­minated, since the people would not have learned the duty and blessing of offering. The Reverend Steel contin­ued his chronicle: For some time Mrs. Van Nortwick, Jr. provided me with a horse and buggy, or cutter, for the Geneva trips. I also, at times, used a tricycle of the old fashioned two high wheels style with a guard wheel in front. Inciden­tally I made an adjustable top for this and, putting my valise behind, ped­aled over to Geneva ...


Records preserve an embarrassing incident which center around Father Steel's little daughter, Alice. At the age of four she attended her first service. She had promised not to "speak out," and all went well until her father be­gan his sermon. Standing directly in front of him, she mimicked every ges­ture and movement. After she made

her way inside the altar rail and was seated on the altar step, the unnerved father softly suggested that she return to her mother, which she did.


Starting after 1890, Miss Fannie Wade, whose names appears repeat­edly in Calvary's archival materials, played the organ for many years, first on afoot-powered instrument and later on a more sophisticated model. A boy was hired to pump the bellows, but one day he fell asleep during the sermon and was not ready "with the wind" for the offertory. Miss Fannie, as she was affectionately called, had to rush back into the chamber and shake him soundly before the choir could pro­ceed. In another instance the boy laid his coat on the altar rail before prac­tice, much to Miss Fannie's displea­sure. In recalling these episodes, he later wrote, "After all I wasn't an Epis­copalian and didn't have to listen to the sermon or know about altar rails."


By 1898 Calvary had 70 communi­cants. At the annual meeting the fol­lowing year, the treasurer's report showed receipts of $1,928.88 and ex­penditures of $1,414.99. Expenses in­cluded salary $1,000, organist $96, taxes $45.13, pump for rectory $10.25, and insurance $14.40.


In 1918 the Reverend Frank Victor Hoag was called. Two years later he, along with other Batavia clergy, re­quested that the Board of Education approve a program of released time for religious instruction. As approved, it allowed parents to request that their children be released from elementary school to attend classes at their own churches for approximately one hour each Thursday. The program became known at Thursday School and lasted until 1985, when dwindling attendance and administrative difficulties caused it to be canceled.


Soon after the Reverend George Ray became rector in 1921, final plans for a new Parish House were made. When it became apparent that there was inadequate funding for the $18,000 project, the church incorpo­rated so that bonds could be issued. Since the building was promoted to function as a community center {and it came to be called, frequently, the Com­munity House), subscribers included both parishioners and Batavians out­side the parish. The cornerstone was laid in 1922. It held a copper box con­taining a history of Calvary Church since 1841; lists of the vestry, guilds, and members of the congregation; and copies of several church publications. The following January the new Parish House opened for use.


The early 1920s was a time of opti­mism in America, and this was re­flected at Calvary.


Church attendance set records, and confirmation classes were large. By 1924 the parish mem­bership included 72 families and 40 other individuals, including 30 parish­ioners at Mooseheart. As the decade ended, however, Calvary found itself with problems. Finances became so tight in September, 1932, that bills amounting to $665,91 could not be paid, and the Parish House bonds were in default. The possibility of sell­ing the rectory was considered, and bondholders were asked to give the church an extension of time on pay­ments. A number of parishioners gave their bonds to the church, and most other bondholders agreed to delayed payments.


In 1933 the Reverend Edward Aldworth, a teacher at St. Alban's School in Sycamore, agreed to be­come Priest-in-Charge on a part-time basis at a salary of $25 per month plus a travel allowance. He came to Batavia on weekends and Thursdays, and the guiid undertook the responsibility of providing his dinners on Saturday and Sunday and sleeping quarter for Sat­urday nights at parishioners1 homes. His lunch often consisted of cottage cheese, applesauce, and burnt toast (a favorite meal of his) at a tiny coffee shop one-half block from the church.


In 1940 the church decided to reno­vate its historic building. Furnishings were moved to the Parish House, where services were held while work progressed. By this time Father Aldworth had become full-time at Cal­vary, and his previous training as an engineer proved valuable in this re­modeling venture. He performed the electrical work himself and, with the help of the parish men, tore down the ceiling and old plaster, thereby saving the parish considerable expense.


Among the many changes, stained glass was placed in the long-hidden round window near the southwest cor-ner of the nave. All this was quite an accomplishment for a parish that had been bankrupt only ten years earlier. Nine years later in 1949, stacks of cartons bearing the labels of Kentucky whiskeys in the Parish House entryway heralded the arrival of the Reverend Samuel Blackard from Louisville. His former parishioners had provided the boxes for his move, and their appear­ance brought chuckles (and an occa­sional disapproving frown) from those who saw them.


Father Blackard was not only a strong leader for the parish but played an active role in commu­nity affairs as well. His untimely death in September, 1970, saddened the entire congregation and community. A carillon was given to the church in his memory the following year, and even today its music marks each noon. Blackard Park received its name in recognition of Father Biackard's in­volvement in the Batavia recreational program.


The present rector, Reverend Drury Green, was invested in 1975 and has served Calvary longer than any other priest. On December 8, 1 989, the par­ish witnessed a first when Father Green married Linda Leudesdorff in a ceremony held at Calvary Church. Mrs. Green, a seminarian at the time, was ordained a priest two years later and now serves as co-rector at Calvary. The past 1 55 years have witnessed many changes as the number of Epis­copalians worshipping in Batavia has grown from the handful first gathered at the Derby home to Calvary's present membership of over 300 baptized members. Parishioners have provided an ever-improved facility for corporate worship, religious education, and fel­lowship. What has transpired since the humble beginnings in 1 842 provides a solid foundation upon which Calvary Parish can continue to meet the spiri­tual needs of its members while carry­ing forth the greater work of the Church.


This fourth in a series of histories of Batavia's churches is an abridgement of the authors' 1992 booklet, The History of Calvary Episcopal Church



Membership and Other Matters


Since the last issue, two iife members have been added to our rolls: Norman Peterson (Canton, Ohio) and JoAnn Stevens (named by the Board in appreciation of her services in mailing the Society's news­letters and meeting notices). Other new members include Carl J. Harleen (San Rafael, CA), Ethei Larson Krupp (North Massapequa, NY), Louise White Grade School Learning Center, and Audry Wilson (Batavia).

Does your newsletter have a yellow dot beside the address? If so, it means that, according to our records, you have not paid your dues for 1997. If you have a question about your dues status, please check with Treasurer Jerry Harris (879-2467); otherwise, please mail a check to the address on the out­side cover of this newsletter.

For many months, Marilyn Robinson and Jeffery Schielke have been updating the popu­lar, but out-of-print, Historic Batavia. The revised book will be named John Gustafson's Historic Batavia in tribute to the original author. Marilyn has re­ported that "it is beginning to like like a book. The writing is com­plete (420 pages of it), and about 100 pictures have been chosen. Final selection may have to cut down some. The book will definitely be ready for Christmas giving. Watch for more information!"


Since the start of this fiscal year, the Society has received two donations of $100 or more: Wiliam B. Hinchliffe - $300 (see "Museum Happenings") and George and Erdene Peck - $100.



by Carla Hill, Director


The museum attendance has contin­ued to increase over the last several weeks. In April we, along with the Meth­odist Church, hosted four bus tours from the Art Institute of Chicago, and in re­turn we received a nice donation of $300, Bill Hinchliffe, who was the tour conductor, brought a senior group on another tour to the museum on June 24.

During the month of May, we gave tours to ten third grade classes -- three from J.B. Nelson School, three from Alice Gustafson School, and four from Louise White School. The first week in June we hosted 120 middle school stu­dents and a group from the Learning Ladders preschool in Batavia, Marilyn Robinson is continuing to help me with the school tours, which delights the children.


The volunteer workshop was held on Friday, June 20. The workshop is de­signed to answer questions and to make additions and corrections to the volunteer manual. It also gives me the opportunity to thank the volunteers for their dedication to the museum and give each person a small "thank you" gift.


The "Turn of the Century Pastimes Exhibit," which is currently running at the museum, has been very popular with children and adult visitors. Because of its popularity, we are going to leave it in place until the beginning of August. We are also in the process of prepar­ing photograph albums for the Lincoln room and the Van Nortwick room.

Once again, we are participating in the Summer Passport Program for fami­lies throughout Kane and DuPage counties. This popular program for en­couraging children to visit the area's museums is entering its sixth year. We are also a sponsor for the new Batavia Trolley, which runs every Saturday and Sunday.


For its archives, the museum wants copies of tri-city directories. Although the particular need is for 1988 and later, earlier ones would be welcome. Please let rne know if you can help.

We are looking forward to a great summer and, as the weather warms, we will continue to see an increase in at­tendance and many changes inside and outside of the museum.


Anyone who would like to volunteer at the museum should contact Kathy Fairbairn at 406-9041.







Newsletter Triggers Former Batavian's Memories


After Bert and Ruth Johnson sent the last issue of the Historian to Bert's cousin, Carl J. Harleen, he responded with such fresh and vivid recollections of a typical day at the Quarry that we can almost feel the chill as Carl stood waiting for his towel and clothes at the end of a swim. He wrote:"... Even though i only spent less than a third of my life in Batavia, three quarters of my memory goes back to the town. I remember the red bricks on Wilson Street, the time Morton Street was paved with cement (even before Blaine Street), the candle stick street lights on Morton Street.


"The summer days we went to the Quarry for a swim, if the temperature was hot, three times a day, and if we were there at noon Mother would bring down a picnic lunch which we would eat at a table on top of the hill, over­looking the shallow end of the pool. It was the time of the Toboggan Water Slide, wooden, three level diving tower, swimming rafts made from oil drums that were the flotation for the sunning platform. As to the sunning, more time was spent in the process

of turning (a raft) over and over again, one time with the drums up in the air and the next time down in the water.


"It was the years that, when you went to put on your swimming suit, you checked your clothes at the Check Stand in a wire basket that had a number on the front, so if you needed money for a frozen Milky Way you would have to ask for your bas­ket by number, that is if you remem­bered it. There were times we forgot and then we would have to recall what color clothes we wore and try to see enough through the wire front to recover them, all the time standing with your hands to your mouth shivering and teeth chattering.


When we-checked out our basket to change to our clothes, we went to the bath house, didn't take us long because we all wore one piece BVDs, and a pair of shorts. Take the wet suit outside and run it through a hand roller wringer to get the water out, then roll the swim­ming suit in the center of the bath towel and take off, trying to avoid all the dust that would be made from the incoming cars on the gravel road..." What wonderful memories!



Cemetery Walk Will Be October 5 - Mark your Calendars

By Marilyn Robinson


The annual cemetery walk spon­sored by the Heritage Committee of Access and the Society will be held Sunday, October 5, in the East Side Cemetery starting at 1 p.m. Rain date is the following Sunday.


Just who will be coming back to visit Batavia at their gravesites has not yet been determined. But invitations have been extended to the following: John P. Montague, a mysterious stranger; Charles Nurnberg, a young worker at the U.S. Wind Engine & Pump com­pany; DeLacy Cole, a glove manufacturer; Captain Jacob Grimes, an eariy settler and Civil War veteran; James T. McMaster, a veteran, postmaster and city activist; Julia and Milo Kemp, early settlers and, in Mile's case, a business­man; Herman Shaw, a grocer; Adelbert and Marietta Montgomery, lifelong resi­dents of Batavia, married 50 years; and Severin ("John D.") Alberosky, chief of police and first Batavia policeman to die in the line of duty.


Each has an interesting life to tell us about. Mark your calendars so you won't miss the walk.






Swedish Nicknames in Batavia


John Gustafson, Batavia's first historian, wrote in his notebook:  "Because there always have been so many Swedish people with the same or similar names, mailmen, storekeep­ers, tax assessors, industry, etc. [it] has always been a problem reaching the right man. There were too many Charley Johnsons, John Andersons, and Peter Swansons. To distinguish one man from another with the same name, men were given nicknames according to their trade or some pe­culiarity. So in Batavia we had Coal Pete, Bread Pete, Horse Pete, Shoe­maker Larson, Furniture Carlson, Ice-Boss Johnson, Democrat Charley Johnson (Swedes were invariably Republicans), Sven-in-a-box (he came over to this country in a box to save passenger fare) and many, many other nicknames."

In an attempt to save these nick­names for posterity, Elliott Lundberg, Carl Nelson and Arnold O. Johnson completed a list in 1989 that had been started by Edna Oleson, mother of Molly Hubbard, with help from her brother Roland Peterson. Many Batavians, particularly those of Swed­ish ancestry, will enjoy reading this list, which includes more than 150 names and will be printed serially in this and subsequent issues.




Quiz answers


In her story, "Dreams of Dream­ers," Helen Bartelt Anderson told us about the horse Gypsy that her father gave her mother shortly after their marriage. The picture shows lypsy with her colt and with Helen's -^-parents, George and Delia Zoller Bartelt, and her baby brother, Roger, who died early this year.



Underground Railroad to be Featured at " Books-between-Bites "


Glennette Tilley Turner, a Wheaton educator, historical researcher, writer and expert on the Underground Railroad, will appear on Batavia's "Books-between-Bites" Feb. 19, 1998. At the suggestion of then-Senator Paul Simon, she was appointed to the nine-member commission to advise the National Park Service about Underground Railroad sites. Her new book, The Underground Railroad in Illinois, which is the culmination of years of research, will be published later this year.